Sunday, May 10, 2009

Star Trek





I'll expand this with more words of praise later, but just had to say how damn much fun Star Trek is. J.J. Abrams and Co. did an outstanding job and created one of the most enjoyable sci-fi films I've seen in a long time. If you weren't planning on seeing it, I strongly urge you to reconsider. And it's not just for die-hards. You can go in having never seen an episode of the original series and still enjoy it.

UPDATE: Not a full review, but more thoughts after the jump. Minor spoilers if you haven't seen the film.


• Casting was great. No one really goes for the "I'm playing the actor who played this character the last time around" bit, and the movie is all the better for it. Karl Urban certainly channels DeForest Kelly, but it's not an impersonation. He's one of the best bits in the film.
• It's damn funny. I *heart* Simon Pegg.
• I will say that there are plot holes you can reflect on, but it's such a darn fun film they won't dawn on you until days later, and even then they won't ruin the film for you. Thou shalt not nitpick thy films, for that path leads to dickhood.
• Eric Bana's villain Nero is a little underdeveloped, but his motivations are fairly simple to begin with so it's not all bad.
• You get to see Kirk beat the Kobayashi Maru test.
• I felt that the casting gave us feasible versions of the favorites, updated for modern audiences. Sulu's a bit more macho, but I doubt John Cho would have wanted everyone to think he was as "fabulous" as Takei.
• Bruce Greenwood's perfect Capt. Christopher Pike, who hopefully at least gets to cameo the next time around.
• I was very surprised by the Spock/Uhura relationship, but I felt it worked and it added some interesting layers to both characters.
• While I think they could have gone with a straight reboot instead of using an old character to start a new timeline, Nimoy was perfect and it was delightful to see him interacting with the new actors. Still, the creation of a new timeline allows for new stories without crapping on the continuity of old. Though I do agree with this fellow's perspective on Star Trek canon.
• It's just...it's just a really enjoyable movie. Pure fun and entertainment, despite a not-quite-there script. Probably the most satisfied I've been upon leaving a theater since Bourne Ultimatum (Dark Knight and Iron Man being right up there as well).


-Buck

No comments: