Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Buckshot: Through the Lens of Nostalgia

Sometimes I read comments on the interwebs wherein a person watched a film they loved in their youth, only to realize in hindsight that it's not very good. Well, it's happened to me. On Sunday afternoon, I popped this in, thinking I was about to dazzle Mrs. Buck with my taste in films, and shine a light on one of those forgotten gems of the '80s: Red Dawn.


Man. That film has not aged well. Don't get me wrong, I'll always love the hell out of this movie, but for all the wrong reasons. It's definitely a guilty pleasure, and I'm kind of glad I don't have it in the collection. It's better-suited as one to rent and revisit every few years.

PROS:
Powers Boothe's much-needed gravitas
Harry Dean Stanton's melodramatic cameo ("Avenge me, boys! Aveeeeeeeenge meeeeee!")
C. Thomas Howell's goofy, Lord of the Flies-esque transformation

CONS:
Most of the line deliveries from the kids (although Swayze and Sheen come out all right for the most part)
The Yakov Smirnoff look-alike Soviet commander
The...ah, screw it. It's still a great movie!


Wolverines!


-Buck

No comments: