Monday, June 23, 2008

George Carlin, 1937-2008


For the second time in a month, we say goodbye to a very funny man. Carlin was one of my comedy heroes, though I failed to keep up with his most recent albums. That will of course be rectified soon.

I discovered George's comedy when I was probably 13 or 14, and picked up every album I could find during high school. I even quoted the man in my high school graduation speech. I loved sharing George's comedy with people who weren't familiar with him, and rejoicing when they told me they'd made copies of all my CD's. One of my favorite memories of high school was watching a friend laugh so hard she was crying as we listened to his 1996 effort Back in Town.

My dad e-mailed me to express his surprise at George's passing, and I summed up my feelings this way: I'll miss that cantankerous old bastard. And I meant it with complete respect and admiration. I'd like to think George would appreciate being described that way.

So long, George, and thanks for all the laughs.

-Buck

5 comments:

online free lottery said...

Ive read this topic for some blogs. But I think this is more informative.

free lotto said...

that's way too cool.

gambling online said...

Kanami sang imo blog. Daw spaghetti.

The Den of Mystery said...

Wow. We have spam comments.

We've really made it, people!

-Hooper

Adam said...

Daw spaghetti. Couldn't have said it better myself. Daw spaghetti indeed.