Sunday, May 4, 2008

Buckshot: Summermoviepalooza

Nothing fancy today, just a rundown of updates for some of the bigger summer movies you might be looking forward to. WARNING: This post contains slight comic book nerditry.



May
*
Iron Man had a heck of an opening weekend, according to early reports. Word is it had the second-largest single-day take for a non-sequel, second only to Spider-Man. I won't be seeing it until next weekend, by which time I'm sure we'll have had an official sequel announcement. So will 2010 bring us Iron Man 2: Armor Wars, or will that be the third film.? Based on a snippet I've seen in commercials of Rhodey (Terrence Howard) glancing at one of the suits of armor, my guess is the next one will be Iron Man 2: War Machine.

* I'll admit it, Speed Racer does look like a visual feast. But I don't have enough love for the original show to pony up the ticket price. I also can't get past Matthew Fox's Racer X speaking every line in a bizarre monotone in every trailer I've seen. Is that how the character talked in the original series?

*While I enjoyed the first Chronicles of Narnia, I wonder if Prince Caspian has what it takes, falling as it does between Iron Man and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I know I'm one of the ones who will wait to see it on DVD.

* New Indiana Jones trailer! Suffice to say, the film continues to look like a lot of fun.

* Speaking of questionable release dates, is May 30th a good time to release a horror flick, right as the blockbuster season gets rolling? I have no idea, but darned if the latest poster for The Strangers doesn't look pretty good (even if there is something weird going on with Liv Tyler's hands). It's subtle, and I always like a subtle poster that makes you give it more than one glance.


June
* You Don't Mess With the Zohan may have been co-written by Judd Apatow, but at the end of the day, it's an Adam Sandler movie, and his time has passed. Might be worth a rental solely for Apatow's involvement.

* The new trailer for The Incredible Hulk gives me a lot more confidence in the film than the teaser trailer did. I do agree with Russ Fischer of CHUD when he says that the first third or so of the trailer goes for a Bourne trilogy vibe, but I think it works well enough. The plot point for how the Abomination is created is fairly smart too. I was planning on waiting until DVD for this one, but I have to admit I'm a little excited to see it now.

* Get Smart. Are Steve Carrell and Anne Hathaway enough to bring in the audience for a big-screen adaptation of a television comedy from the '60s? I loved the show when I saw reruns on Nick at Nite, so I've got a lot of hope for this one. And it's got Alan Arkin, who should have a supporting role in every film.

* Disney's main page has some cute videos starring WALL*E. You can watch him play with a magnet and hula hoop. I know, it doesn't sound like much, but they're funny. Trust me.


July

* The new trailer is finally up for The Dark Knight. There are also some new posters. Rather than make this an image-intensive post, I'll just post a couple here and link you to the film's page at IMP Awards.





* Will Smith's also in the superhero game this summer with Peter Berg's Hancock. There's a new trailer up at Yahoo Movies, and it looks like a great alternative to all the comic book adaptations.

* Not much new info for Hellboy II: The Golden Army today, although the film has started its own viral campaign, which I have yet to investigate in-depth. Visitors to the New York Comic-Con did get a special convention-only poster by artist Drew Struzan. Hopefully we get the final poster soon. This is another one I can't wait for. It looks like Guillermo del Toro pulled out all the stops for this one. And with a ton of practical effects to boot!

* You might not know it from the near-total lack of promotion 20th Century Fox has given it, but there's a new X-Files movie coming out in July, titled The X-Files: I Want To Believe. No teaser or trailer yet, all I can give you is the first poster.


August
* There's also a new Mummy movie on the way, though Stephen Sommers isn't directing this one. (He's busy on the big-screen version of G.I. Joe. See Hooper for opinions on that one.) Series star Brendan Fraser is returning though, with Jet Li playing the undead villain. Here's the first poster for The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor.


* Another August release I'm looking forward to is Tropic Thunder, directed by Ben Stiller. A group of actors (Stiller, Jack Black, Robert Downey, Jr. and others) are trying to film a Vietnam War movie when they accidentally end up in a real armed conflict. Except they think it's still a movie. Oh, and Robert Downey, Jr. plays a black man. Should be great.


And that wraps up Buck's summer movie preview. If I stumble upon any good stuff in the next few days, I'll update this post. See you at the multiplex!

-Buck

No comments: