Sunday, February 24, 2008

Buckshot: Last-Minute Oscar Picks

Updated with winners and comments.

The Academy Awards are just over 3 hours away, so I'll be brief. But after yesterday's "5 movies in 12 hours" marathon viewing in which I saw all 5 Best Picture contenders, I wanted to throw something up. I still haven't seen every film that's been nominated in the acting categories, but these are my picks. I'll do a longer post about the event, possibly tomorrow.

I'm going to do the 6 key categories: Actor/Actress, Supporting Actor/Actress, Director, and Film. My picks were in bold, the winners are in red.


Best Supporting Actor:
Casey Affleck (The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford)
Javier Bardem (No Country For Old Men)
Philip Seymour Hoffman (Charlie Wilson's War)
Hal Holbrook (Into the Wild)
Tom Wilkenson (Michael Clayton)


I'm 1-1 so far.



Best Supporting Actress:
Cate Blanchett (I'm Not There)
Ruby Dee (American Gangster)
Saoirse Ronan (Atonement)
Amy Ryan (Gone Baby Gone)
Tilda Swinton (Michael Clayton)

Ruby Dee was great, but I can see why Swinton won.



Best Actress:
Cate Blanchett (Elizabeth: The Golden Age)
Julie Christie (Away From Her)
Marion Cotillard (La Vie En Rose)
Laura Linney (The Savages)
Ellen Page (Juno)

I'll admit that Page was a shot in the dark for me. She was the only one in this category I'd actually seen, so I kind of had to pick her. That's not to say that she didn't do a good job. She was great in Juno.

Best Actor:
George Clooney (Michael Clayton)
Daniel Day-Lewis (There Will Be Blood)
Johnny Depp (Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street)
Tommy Lee Jones (In The Valley of Elah)
Viggo Mortensen (Eastern Promises)

The smart money was on Daniel Day-Lewis, and he was great as Daniel Plainview, but I just don't think I enjoyed him as much in There Will Be Blood as I did in Gangs of New York. So I went with the potential upset with Clooney, who gave a great understated performance.

Best Director:
Paul Thomas Anderson (There Will Be Blood)
Joel & Ethan Coen (No Country For Old Men)
Tony Gilroy (Michael Clayton)
Jason Reitman (Juno)
Julian Schnabel (The Diving Bell and the Butterfly)

I'm 2-5 at this point.

Best Picture:
Michael Clayton
There Will Be Blood
Atonement
Juno
No Country For Old Men

So I ended up batting .500 on my picks. While I didn't do picks for every category, I was glad to see Ratatouille take Best Animated Feature and "Falling Slowly" from Once take Best Original Song. It was also nice to see the Coens chalk up another one with Best Adapted Screenplay and Diablo Cody get Best Original Screenplay for Juno.

Even though the awards have been given out, I still think I'll do something tonight or tomorrow recapping the marathon viewing of Saturday with mini reviews for each film.


~Buck


No comments: